Tex Wyndham's Texas Shout
Texas Shout was a wildly popular column which ran in our predecessor papers, The West Coast Rag, and The American Rag.
Beginning in 1989 Tex Wyndham distilled what he had learned in a lifetime of involvement in Dixieland and Ragtime into topical monthly columns filled with insight and advice for those who want to better understand the music. We believe his wisdom and predictions have held up over time and will fascinate our readers as insight into the recent past and worthy lessons for today.
We will be posting the columns in the order they originally ran. Look out for new posts on the 1st, 10th, and 20th of each month for the next two years.
The following introduction ran in our predecessor paper, The American Rag, as the Texas Shout columns were reprinted in the paper beginning in 1998 …
Texas Shout Archive
- Texas Shout #13 Playing the Standards
- Texas Shout #12 Women in Dixieland
- Texas Shout #11 Reviewing Records, Part Two
- Texas Shout #10 Reviewing Records, Part One
- Texas Shout #9 Entertaining the Audience
- Texas Shout #8 Contemporary Classic Combos
- Texas Shout #7- Subunits
- Texas Shout #6- Hand-Held Live Tapes
- Texas Shout #5- Non-Genre Music
- Texas Shout #4- Reading, Solo & Ensemble Skills
- Texas Shout #3 – Hot Dance
- Texas Shout #2 – Unavailable Records
- Texas Shout #1- “Dixieland”